Monday, April 9, 2018

Privacy nightmare

Formally dressed, many times billionaire, Mark Z, CEO of Facebook has landed in Washington DC and meeting Senators and congressmen who have called him to question. They like to find out how much data about people is already lost and who are the customers. We already know Equifax has lost 150 million US residents financial records including mine. But we don't know who stole them. Suspicion is Russia and East European Country. They shall mess up our financial any day any time.

 We are accustomed to free service from Google who have all my account information password my day to day interests in their data store by virtue of Google Chrome Google search and Android Google Cloud etc. But they are not questioned. It is their singular business to sell my data to any without my knowledge. Yes I come to know what is my interest as soon as I open Chrome browser. I am posted many advertisement for my consideration. Of course they have collected them; and next 30 days I shall be receiving them when I use Chrome. Whenever I search any item in Google and I have no choice for any non profiting search engine - all gather information on me.

How to stop this?

Frankly we do not have any option but to have GDPR like legislation in USA. I have deleted my account in FB on February 28, 2018. I took a dump of what I had in FB. Among other things they had all my transaction using Paypal. FB tried to provide free internet service in India; they must be providing similar services elsewhere. I shall be surprised if Google does not have all the information about me whenever I use Chrome or Gmail. I have to live with it. Permissive laws of USA has created this monsters. Google has gone one step further they have created Android OS for mobile and they are collecting all information day and night even my location information. I went on tour accross USA. Every pictures I took, had recording of time and location. You cannot stop them selling my information without any GDPR like implementation in USA.

Question can be asked why we do not have a public search engine that does not collect and profit selling personal information Companies worldwide! We have Linux free OS. We have Wikipedia a free  encyclopedia. I need Open Mobile OS like Linux. I need Browser not owned by some Internet Company who is making their right to collect what ever use I make with their browser. They apply this knowledge for my ruin and continuous discomfort. Collecting and Selling Personal Information must be punishable offence. Non-compliance is not a choice. You shall be fined 2% Gross Earning for first misuse without consent same as in EU for GDPR non-complaince. Why there is no WWW catalog of pages of all sites and maintained by Open Public Infrastructure? I should be able to search that catalog in a manner that I get result in one invocation such as this ~  Search for "Zarathustra and his followers recorded before 1931 and not written by Nietzsche in any language preferably from India, Iran and Asia."  Country's law must prohibit all companies with fraudulent motives to sell and collect private information of its residents. These companies must be liquidate and stripped all profits so far made and returned to public.

Few weeks back Microsoft informed me of their terms and condition to use of Windows, Office, Browsers, Hotmail or any services I may use. The condition is they have right to use all my information in any manner they think is right. If I do not agree then I may stop using them. They have become monster today from my purchases of their computers etc. They have been allowed to become so. I have to throw away my purchases if I don't agree. Further Microsoft imposed a constrain that in future I would not participate in any litigation with MS if brought Court regarding its use of my private information! If I don't agree - it is my responsibility not to use Microsoft tools any more.

Another thing is patent or Intellectual Property. Not so long ago, one was allowed to do independent research and invent. There are so many co-inventors; but today it is not allowed. It is presumed that I cannot invent anything for my need. I must make a patent search for similar ideas. How ridiculous this is and it is being protected and promoted by country's law. Prohibition on Languages too. If I describe an algorithm in any language say Java I cannot implement it in my machine environment for any profitable purpose since it is copyrighted by Oracle! Next we shall be hearing English can only be used by people of England. All country should get together and have fresh look at IP laws.

This kills competitions. Apple produces 5000 IP every year, however, Apple products in last 30 years starting from 1981 is made entirely by others and not Apple. Only recently they are thinking of making touch screens. 99% IPs are worthless and theoretical made by others but IP right held by Internet Toy making Monsters.

Can you believe iPhone a mere phone but costs $1000 plus and phone is not expected to survive more than a year and is manufactured totally by others and not by Apple and in its premise. Apple only sells them and keep their earnings abroad and do not even pay any tax. Laws of USA is written to facilitate stealing and for thieves in making with no intention to protect individuals being robbed and ruined.

I have written in great length about Google's virus like grip on technology. Along with google search they have introduced very cheap technology - NodeJS ReactJS AngularJS etc. If you are trying to do genuine research using google search you need at least 3 hours to get to what you are searching. It take about 30 searches and 150 search output screens. In case if there is scope of free catalog of index for WWW we can construct intelligent search get to what is searched and get it with 5 iteration in 5 minutes. Now every Cloud Service is paid by meter. If something could be accomplished in a laptop application in 5 minutes, using cloud service it takes 50 minutes. It is like using calculator in olden days but 1000 times costly for an individual!!

Be aware of any business model around any free service. Nothing is free not even a lolly-pop.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting with rare information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a wsj article today that said fb is no where near googles accomplishment in collecting private information of 2 billion people who some way use gmail, google search, android or chrome. they sell pi to 400 intermediate business agents who uses them for whatever purpose. they have to fill in some order for their business form specifying region, profile etc and buy. fb too is one of the buyer firm.

    fb is an ant compare to google monster.

    ever since i wrote this blog, google is taking me into task. this blog too is owned by them. My gmail account is flooded with obscene junk mails written by me addressed to me by some with whom google has shared my details. I have changed my password. it did not help. i cannot stop this duplicate me even if I program gmail to throw mails into junk or spam folder. I cannot block me!

    gmail is not preferred email.

    ReplyDelete